Sunday, November 24, 2013

{HSCRC13} Hymn #21, Lord, Speak to Me

Hymn Challenge #21: Lord, Speak to Me
Words by: Frances Ridley Havergal
b. December 14, 1836; d. June 3, 1879

Frances Ridley Havergal was the daughter of the Rev. W. H. Havergal who was also a hymnist. She was born in Astley, Worcestershire. We studied her last year in Hymn #14, Take My Life and Let It Be. To read more, click here. Some other facts I found out about her was that she began writing hymns at the age of 7. She also had a great memory and was able to memorize the Psalms, the book of Isai­ah, and most of the New Test­a­ment. Wow, and to think I have trouble memorizing a verse. Anyway, she also had a deep commitment to Christ. She died in a town near Wales but is buried in her birthplace. On her tomb­stone is the script­ure verse she claimed as her own:

1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin."

The original hymn had 7 verses; however, in a lot of hymnals you will only see 4-5 of these verses. Here are the first 5 verses:

1 Lord, speak to me, that I may speak
in living echoes of thy tone;
as thou has sought, so let me seek
thine erring children lost and lone.

2 O strengthen me, that while I stand
firm on the rock, and strong in thee,
I may stretch out a loving land
to wrestlers with the troubled sea.

3 O teach me, Lord, that I may teach
the precious things thou dost impart;
and wing my words, that they may reach
the hidden depths of many a heart.

4 O fill me with thy fullness, Lord,
until my very heart o'erflow
in kindling thought and glowing word,
thy love to tell, thy praise to show.

5 O use me, Lord, use even me,
just as thou wilt, and when, and where,
until thy blessed face I see,
thy rest, thy joy, thy glory share.

As Thanksgiving approaches here in the U.S., I thought that this hymn was perfect as we think about God using us to speak for Him. A lot of you will be surrounded by family and friends or serving in churches and soup kitchens and other places this coming week. Have you asked God in prayer how He might use you and have you share Him with others? We must always ask God how He wants to use us, and we do that by praying to Him. We must remember to get our own agendas out of the way. I love what Kenneth Osbeck said "We must not dictate to our Lord as to how and when we should be used. We are simply to be available whenever He directs in a particular situation. Then our representation for Him is simply to speak His truth boldly but always in love." The Billy Graham Team said this about today's hymn "God speaks; we are taught by Him and filled with His Spirit; then we are ready to serve as He directs." Christ makes us competent to share His Word:

Ephesians 4:11-13 "So Christ Himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip His people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ."

Ephesians 4:15-16 "Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of Him who is the head, that is, Christ. From Him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."

2 Timothy 2:2 "And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others."

When we give and we love as Christ loved and show grace as Christ has shown grace, we are giving others a taste of Heaven. Now is the time to tell others of our Savior's love and grace. When we focus on Him, He will increase His Kingdom through us. People need to know the source of our joy and peace. Will give that gift this Thanksgiving holiday as He leads you?

Psalm 25:4 "Show me Your ways, Lord, teach me Your paths."

Psalm 31:3 "Since You are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of Your name lead and guide me."

Isaiah 50:4 "The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed."

Jeremiah 1:9 "Then the Lord reached out His hand and touched my mouth and said to me, 'I have put My words in your mouth.'"

John 13:15 "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

Romans 12:1-2 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will."

So, are you ready to serve your family, friends, neighbors, and strangers this Thanksgiving as He would direct? Will you allow Him to use you? Yes, even you!!

Below you will find the sheet music to this hymn, and please click here to listen to this hymn.

For my 6x6 page today, I used Jeremiah 1:9 from above. I thought it went perfectly with the hymn. I also love this paper. It came as "wrapping" with my Webster's Pages September Sprinkles Craftbox. I didn't even realize the words "faith" and "grace" were on the paper until after I was putting the page together. How awesome is that? I also used the Blue Fern Studios Quatrefoil Panel. These panels are 12x12 so I get many uses from just one sheet. I cut the panel to the size I needed for my page and then painted it with Shimmerz Artie Choked Texturez. 
Pin It
Papers: Webster's Pages, Bazzill cs 
Blue Fern Studios chipboard: Quatrefoil Panel (painted with Shimmerz Texturez artie choked) 
Stamp Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink brushed corduroy 
Embellishments: October Afternoon Travel Girl doo-dads; Pink Paislee butterfly clip; Prima Soubrette B and Divine flowers; Prima resin clock; American Crafts twine; Zva Creative rhinestone flourish; Wild Orchid Crafts leaves and flowers; Making Memories tiny alpha stickers; Hobby Lobby doily

Remember to use Keyword HSCRC13 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Have a blessed and joyous Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Patter this is a beautiful hymn which I was not familiar with. It's phenomenal to think that Frances R. Havergal could memorize that amount of scripture. Blind Fanny Crosby comes to mind as one who memorized much of the bible from her mother and grandmother reading it to her. Your page is lovely. I've enjoyed reading the scriptures that you chose, and learning this "new" hymn. Thanks for your efforts. I've pinned it to my hymn board. ~ Abby

Related Posts with Thumbnails