Sunday, July 14, 2013

{HSCRC13} Hymn #12, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms

Hymn Challenge #12: Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
Stanzas Written by: Elisha A. Hoffman
b. May 7, 1839; d. November 5, 1929

Music and Refrain Written by: Anthony J. Showalter
b. May 1, 1858; d. September 14, 1924

Anthony J. Showalter was a Presbyterian elder and was known for his singing schools. He had received two letters from two of his former students. Both has lost their wives around the same time. He wrote sympathy notes to both of his friends and included this scripture:

Deuteronomy 33:27a "The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."

As he thought about the words, he felt it would make a great hymn so he wrote the music and refrain to this hymn.  He then asked his friend and hymnist, Elisha Hoffman, to write the stanzas to the hymn. Mr. Hoffman wrote over 2,000 gos­pel songs.

Why did I choose this song this week? Well to be honest, I was not sure I was even going to be able to post today. But this week, I have really had to lean on His precious arms. I have been extremely sick since July 5th. I finally went to the doctor on July 10th thinking that I had bronchitis. As it turns out, I had strep throat. The doctor and I were very surprised since I did not have a sore throat. I had many other horrible symptoms, however. Anyway, because the strep infection had "settled in" for 5 days before getting antibiotics, it is taking me a while to get back on my feet.

Well, in my "sick stupor" yesterday, I locked myself out of the house. The rest of the family was gone, and I was locked out for 2 hours. Thankfully the weather was nice, I had the screened in porch where I could lay down, and I had God's amazing creation to keep me entertained. In that time, I prayed. I could have cried and been stressed during that time but I had it alla roof over my head, a breeze, birds singing, furniture to keep me comfortable, etc. The only thing missing was a bathroom; let's just say that was a bit hard. Anyway, as I realized how blessed I was and that God was with me during my minor inconvenience, I asked Him what He wanted me to learn from this. Was He helping me get rest more from my illness or was it just a blessing to be able to sit quietly with Him for 2 hours? Was there something else? Also during that time, He brought to mind the people that have lost homes in the recent tornadoes, people that have lost loved ones or been severely injured in the Asiana plane crash, people that I know that are sick and have incurable cancerthe list went on and on. Who are they leaning on during their very difficult times? Who are you leaning on?

I knew God would protect me outside. I knew He would bring my family home soon to let me in. I was able to completely trust Him. He is my sanctuary, and in Him I could feel peace and rest when I was a bit annoyed with my circumstances especially when trying to recover from being so sick. Knowing God was with me allowed me to not be fearful. How and when are you turning to God? Do you remember to take refuge in Him in every circumstance? I'll admit I don't but why not? What does He want you to learn in your difficulty or minor inconvenience? Come to Him in whatever your trial may be and He will give you strength. He will sustain you through whatever you are going through! How will you rest and lean on Him in His everlasting arms?

I knew I was safe and enjoyed His presence. Whether you have been locked out literally or your life has been turned upside down due various circumstances, you can know with assurance that God is there waiting to protect you. What do we have to dread or fear when we have the fellowship of our precious Lord?

Charles Spurgeon said "God, the eternal God, is our support at all times, especially when we are sinking into deep trouble. There are seasons when we sink quite low . . . Dear child of God, even when you are at your lowest, underneath are the everlasting arms."

Psalm 17:8 "Keep me as the apple of Your eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings."

Psalm 57:1 "Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in You I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of Your wings until the disaster has passed."

Psalm 91:2 "I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'"

Proverbs 14:26 "Whoever fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge."

Below is the sheet music for this hymn, and click here to hear this hymn.

For my 6x6 page today, I used the beautiful Maja Design papers along with the Renaissance Border chipboard from Blue Fern Studios. The clock and the number 'one' signify leaning on Him first and all of the time.
Pin It
Papers: Maja Design Life in the Country 
Blue Fern Studios chipboard: Renaissance Border 
Dies: Memory Box Fresh Foliage, My Favorite Things Insta-Frame 
Embellishments: Manor House Creations poetry sage flower; Wild Orchid Crafts flowers and leaves; Tim Holtz time piece; Hobby Lobby doily; Inkssentials manila craft tag #5; sewing machine

Remember to use Keyword HSCRC13 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Have a blessed week ahead!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Patter,
This Hymn is one of my favorites. I loved playing the piano in 4 flats. These old hymns are not sung in our church. I, however am taking a Sunday school/kids church class and I had an idea pop into my head just now. How about my guitar and teach the children a chorus and one verse (6-8 years), sing it for a few weeks and then go on to the next one.
This Hymn challenge has been such a ministry to me Patter. Thank you. God Bless you as you heal and always.
Carole

Anne-Marie said...

Patter, your page is so pretty. That shade of blue is so nice. Thank you for all you shared in your teaching. I think I needed this one... my husband and I are seeking the Lord's guidance in major decisions we are making.

I have signed up for your blog under another email address as I have not been receiving anything through the other email I had been using.

Anonymous said...

Amen to this song and scripture!!! God's loving arms are more than strong enough for anything we face.

Praying for you to rest in Him and heal....Love, Jennifer in OH

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered hiding a key in some unusual place (even a neighbor's yard, with their permission). We have done this, and seldom used it, but nice to know it's there. Blessings, Jennifer in OH

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Patter, thanks for sharing your story of God's provisions for you. I'm sorry you've been so sick, will pray for continued strength. Thanks as well for this hymn series. Elisabeth Elliot always closed her radio program with Deuteronomy 33:27. Blessings to you dear one. ~ Abby

Related Posts with Thumbnails